phone icon Talk to a Lawyer Now: 908-460-8996 phone iconTalk to a Lawyer Now
EEOC and NJ Division of Civil Rights (DCR)

Equal Employment Opportunity Commission & New Jersey Division of Civil Rights

Government agencies can help workers resolve employment discrimination claims outside of the litigation process.

Victims of discrimination in New Jersey can file employment-related claims with two primary agencies. At the federal level, the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) handles discrimination claims, while the New Jersey Division of Civil Rights (DCR) typically handles discrimination claims at the state level.

Which Agency Handles My Claim?

In order to bring a claim before the EEOC, the complaint must be related to unlawful discrimination or retaliation covered by federal laws, such as Title VII of the Federal Civil Rights Act. Claims covered by state law, on the other hand, must be brought before the DCR. For claims that involve both federal and state laws, the agencies will coordinate on one coordinated investigation.

What Happens After I File a Claim?

After you file a claim with either the EEOC or DCR, your complaint will be investigated. Depending on the outcome of the investigation, your case may head down one of several paths, and your right to file a lawsuit may be either forfeited or preserved. The investigating agency may also choose to help mediate a solution between you and your employer or help you reach a settlement. Often this resolution process can be completed more quickly and less expensively than an extended lawsuit. Due to the critical impact that filing a claim with one of these agencies can have on your legal rights, however, it is important that you first consult with an experienced employment attorney who can explain the advantages and disadvantages associated with each of these options.

Do I Need an Attorney to File an EEOC or DCR Claim?

Although filing a claim with the EEOC or DCR may sometimes be a simpler process than filing a civil lawsuit, it is still crucial that a discrimination victim first consult with an experienced employment attorney. Prior to filing a discrimination claim with the EEOC or DCR, all facts and circumstances surrounding the case must be evaluated. Only after this evaluation is complete can a proper determination be made as to what is the best course of action for you and what steps are necessary to properly protect your rights.